If you have ever had a mold outbreak in your house then you probably know that the mold you can see is only the beginning of the problem. Believe it or not, only 10% of mold is visible – the other 90% is microscopic. On top of this, there is usually even more mold behind the scenes in the roof space, wall spaces, heating and cooling ducts and many other places that are inaccessible.
This is where a mold fogger such as the Concrobium fogger (in our opinion this is the best mold fogger) can make your life so much easier and have the mold problem under control in record time.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. All opinions are our own we pride ourselves on keeping our articles fair and balanced. For more info see our disclosure statement.
Why You Should Remove Mold
Mold is part of every day life, it is everywhere and most of the time you will not even know it is there. But there are occasions when mold growth takes off and it becomes visible and has the well known moldy smell. This is when moldy environments can become a hazard to humans.
Not everyone is sensitive to mold, but those who are will find that a moldy environment causes a variety of health problems. According to the CDC mold can cause the following symptoms:
- nasal stuffiness
- throat irritation
- coughing or wheezing
- eye irritation
- skin irritation
Even more at risk are people with compromised immune systems or chronic lung illnesses. When exposed to mold, these people may get serious infections in their lungs which can be life threatening.
Why You Should Use a Mold Control Fogger to Remove Mold
As we mentioned earlier in the article, you can only see a small percentage of the mold that actually exists in any environment; 90% of mold is microscopic.
So if you have mold showing on your walls, then you can guarantee that there is mold covering other surfaces in the room that you cant see. Just cleaning the mold you can see is not removing the mold completely, only a small part of it.
There are other methods of cleaning mold on drywall, but using a cold fogger fills the room with a fine mist of the mold remediation chemical, this mist then evenly coats everything in the area and kills the mold on all surfaces.
This is why we believe that the only way to treat a mold outbreak is with a cold mold control fogger.
Some of the areas and items that a mold control fogger would be ideal for removing mold from includes:
- Rooms with a lot of Furniture
- Rooms with lots of Windows
- Wooden decks/patios
- Under the house
- Crawl spaces
- Roof spaces
- Garages (heating your garage can help keep mold away)
How to Use Foggers
Using a conventional mold fogger is certainly not rocket science, but it does help to get your head around the process before deciding if using a fogger is right for your needs.
- Clear the area to be treated of any items that might get damaged by getting damp or wet (some furniture, electronics, paper etc)
- Add your mold control liquid of choice to the fogger tank
- Adjust the liquid flow rate settings on your chosen fogger to your desired setting
- Set the fogger up where it will be ran and angle the fogger head for optimal dispersal (ie. not point straight into a wall)
- Turn the fogger on for the desired time – but not so much that the solution runs or surfaces and pools
- After you have turned the machine off, let the area sit for half an hour so that all the fog has settled
- Open windows, turn on fans and allow the area to dry
That’s it! There is no rinsing required, and if you have chosen a good quality mold control product – then not only will it kill the mold that exists now, it will prevent it from returning.
A mold bomb fogger is even simpler – keep reading to learn more.
The Best Mold Fogger
There are a number of different brands you can choose from if you are in the market for a mold fogger, here we will list a few of our favorites and why we chose them.
Our favorite mold control fogger by far is the Concrobium fogger. It is a sturdy, well built fogger than can fog any area up to 400s sq ft in a single application.
- Eliminates mold and musty smells in large, enclosed areas with Concrobium Mold Control
- Saturates the air with an even distribution of mold cleaner in a fine mist
- Cleans up to 2, 800 sq. ft. per gallon of Mold Control application
- Fogger atomizes cleaning solution to cover all surfaces in the application area, including hard to reach places
- Ideal for use in large areas, closed houses, attics, crawlspaces, garages, basements, wall cavities and more
Clear instructions are included with the unit that cover everything from setting it up, to how much Concrobium Mold Control you will need for your intended room size and how long fogging will take.
The fogger produces a very light, even mist of the Concrobium Mold Control formula and fills the room and coats all surfaces perfectly evenly. Many of the competitors in the market use a much heavier fog because more of the chemicals they rely on are required.
Concrobium Mold Control Formula
The Concrobium mold control formula itself is by far the best you can get. It is labelled a “natural spray”, it contains no ammonia, bleach or volatile organic compounds – what this means is that it uses a natural base of chemicals that are not as toxic as many of its competitors. In saying that though you certainly not recommended to actively breath it in when it is in the air.
- Use to eliminate mold, mildew, musty odors and prevent regrowth
- EPA-registered formula crushes mold spores as it dries and leaves an invisible, barrier
- Odorless solution cleans between 800-1, 600 sq. ft. per gallon
- Unique mold cleaner contains no bleach or harsh chemicals, safe for use on a wide range of surfaces
- Apply by cold fogger, spray, cloth or brush over affected area and allow to dry - no scrubbing or rinsing required
It is safe to use on most surfaces, even carpet and timber without any damage to your valuable furniture or floor coverings.
While some mold control solutions are what they call ‘encapsulates’, this means that the product just traps the mold and stops it from spreading without actually killing it. Concrobium mold control actually goes further and kills the mold – eliminating it for good. It actually leaves an invisible antimicrobial shield which prevents the regrowth of mold and mildew, meaning this is a long term solution and not just a quick fix.
Createch Commander Tri Jet ULV Non Thermal Mold Fogger
Our second choice in foggers is the Createch Commander is an American made cold fogger that serves multiple purposes. It not only does mold control fogging, but can also be used to fog any other sort of chemicals such as insect fumigation and sterilization/sanitation.
- Made in the USA
- Can be used indoors and outdoors with oil or water based materials
- suitable for mold and mildew control, sterilization/sanitizer fogging and pest Control Fogging
I mentioned that this mold fogger is made in the USA, and that is probably the reason why it is such good quality. The price is also spot on, with it being a bit cheaper than the Concrobium model.
The Createch Commander mold fogger does not have a recommended anti mold formula, instead you can use almost any cold fogging formular available. This makes it a little less efficient than the Concrobium fogger due to the fact that it is tuned to work for a broad range of products instead of one specialised product.
BioCide Mold Bomb Fogger
The 3rd mold fogger we are going to recommend is a little different, it is called the BioCide Mold Bomb Fogger.
The Mold Bomb is a little different in the way that the product itself is single use and contains the delivery method (fogging) and the mold killing agent.
It works in a way that is very similar to the fogger mentioned above:
- Place the mold bomb in the center of the affected area or near the mold infestation
- Remove the cap and push the trigger down until it locks into place
- Leave the area for 2 hours
BioCide advertise that the mold bomb itself kills 99.9% of all mold, mildew and bacteria. It even kills the dreaded black mold.
Customers report that the mold bomb fogger works wonders – it kills all traces of mold and even gets rid of the distinctive smell that mold can leave behind.
- Single use mold fogger bomb
- Kills 995 of mold and bacteria
- Removes musty smells and kills mold
Mold fogger in action image source: Insourcelife