Installing a Pond Water Pump is an essential part of installing a garden pond, and great way to improve your existing ponds.
Not only does it invigorate and aerate the water, but it can also power a waterfall or water feature.
However choosing the Best Pond Water Pump for your Garden can be a confusing prospect. This guide will help you decide which Pump you need and where to find it.
The Best Pond Water Pumps of 2017
Below are some of our favorite water pumps of different sizes.
All pumps listed are submersible.
Garden Pond Water Pump Buying Guide
Different Types of Pond Water Pumps
There is a large variety of Pond Water Pumps available, however they mostly boil down to two different types; Submersible (Underwater) or External (Out of Pond).
- Submersible Pumps are generally best for the home garden with just a small pond, as they are quiet, require very little installation, and have the added benefit of being capable of draining your pond.
- External Pumps are usually for Ponds which require a large volume of water to be pumped. Therefore they are not always suitable for the home garden.
What Pump do you Need?
Simply put, the more work – the more powerful the pump required.
Pumps are sized by ‘Gallons Per Hour’ (GPH).
For a healthy pond, water should be circulated once every two hours.
For example. A 100 Gallon Pond would require a 50 Gallon Per Hour Pump. (Minimum)
It’s always a good idea to choose a pump that exceeds the minimum amount of circulation required. As this will ensure it doesn’t always run at it’s capacity – and gives the potential to expand or add more features in the future.
The more features your pond has and the higher the waterfall, the more powerful a pump you will need.
Formula for working out the size of your pond in gallons
If you have a square or rectangular pond:
If you have a round pond:
Installation and Servicing Your Garden Pond Pump
It is important to make sure your Pump is located in an accessible place, around the side of your Pond, also ensure that it is not too deep.
This will make it nice and easy to install and maintain, and also reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Best Fire Pit – Buyers Guide and Comparison - September 14, 2017
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Garden Pond - September 3, 2017
- Pond Lighting Guide & Best Pond Lights of 2017 - August 30, 2017
- The Best Water Pump For Your Pond - August 29, 2017
- Choosing The Right Pond Liner - August 29, 2017
- The Ultimate Garden Pond Guide - August 22, 2017
Pricing last updated on 2018-05-27 at 10:14 / affiliate links - Details