Are Electric Fireplaces Safe?

An electric fireplace is a great way to warm up a room without worrying about smoke or paying for gas. Electric fireplaces are quick and easy to start, and they are relatively energy efficient.

But, are they safe? Electric fireplaces can be very safe, perhaps safer than a wood-burning or gas fireplace. Here is some excellent information to ensure that you don’t have any issues with your electric fireplace.

are electric fireplaces safe


Disclosure: It is important you understand that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. All opinions are our own we pride ourselves on keeping our articles fair and balanced. For more info see our disclosure statement.

Are Electric Fireplace Flames Dangerous?

electric fireplace flames

Everybody knows that putting your hand into a flame will result in a nasty burn. With an electric fireplace, this is not the case.

Electric fireplaces will produce some heat, but the flames are just an illusion. While the most realistic electric fireplaces are very convincing, in fact, you can touch the flames without worrying if you need to go to the emergency room for a burn treatment.

This, however, does not make an electric fireplace completely safe. An electric fireplace emits heat through its vents. If you put your hand on it, you can still sustain minor burns. Henceforth, you should still keep your distance from an electric fireplace. Knowing that the risk of burns is considerably less makes the electric fireplace a better choice for many people.

Are Electric Fireplaces Safe to Leave on Overnight?

electric fireplace in living area

Leaving an electric fireplace overnight can be dangerous, depending on the type of fireplace you have. Some electric fireplaces are designed to run 24/7 and will cause no issues if left on overnight. Other more portable electric fireplaces may only be designed to run for a few hours at a time.

Many of the current models on the market come with a quick-toggle off switch for convenient shut down, which is incredibly handy if your home is already toasty and warm. Other electric fireplaces have a timer which automatically turns off the device after a certain period. If you love sleeping with the fireplace on, you should definitely consider getting an electric fireplace with this feature.

The problem with leaving the electric fireplace on overnight is that it is still an electric appliance. As we all know, there can be issues that come up with electric devices. Staying awake and aware when you are using any kind of electric appliance is a smart choice.

Is an Electric Fireplace Safer than a Real Fireplace?

man using electric fireplace remote

There are a few reasons that the electric fireplace is safer than a real fireplace. Although safety often boils down to the user and how closely they follow recommendations and protocol, there are some positives to the electric fireplace that you don’t see with gas and wood burning.

Babysitting the Fire

With an open wood burning fire, you cannot leave the fire unattended. Lots of things can happen when you are burning wood. For instance, a large piece can fall and sometimes even fall out of the fireplace. If you fall asleep while a wood burning fire is still hot, it can be a safety hazard.

One small piece of ash that comes out onto a carpet or a newspaper could start a large fire. With the electric fireplace, you won’t have to worry about this.

Clearing the Area

You don’t have to make too many adjustments when installing an electric fireplace. Most models are safe to place near carpets, furniture, and any type of flooring.

With wood and gas fireplaces, you need to make sure that people and objects don’t get too close to the fire. The electric fireplace is great for smaller spaces because it doesn’t need to have a safety barrier around the fire itself.

Chimney Sweep

When you have a wood or gas burning fireplace, you need to have the chimney checked at least every year or two. The chimney is what helps keep the home safe from carbon monoxide. If it’s clogged or dirty, toxic fumes can circulate in your home, harming you and your family’s health.

With an electric fireplace, you won’t have to worry about ventilation. Electric fireplaces are essentially electric appliances. You don’t need to vent your toaster oven, do you? Therefore with an electric fireplace, you will eliminate the need for a chimney sweep and save money on cleaning services.

Poking The Fire

Have you ever built a beautiful fire using hardwood, only to turn around and see that it has gone out? This happens quite often. In fact, there is an art to building a great fire. It takes quite a bit of attention, the right amount of air, and sometimes several different types of woods and kindling to get the fire started.

With an electric fireplace, you don’t have to worry about the fire going out. Unless, of course, your electricity goes out. This makes the electric fireplace an excellent option for entertaining as you can enjoy time with your guests and not have to think about tending to the fire.

Electric Fireplace Safety Tips

pulling electric fireplace plug

Now that you know electric fireplaces are generally safe, here are some tips to ensure that you are always using them the right way.

  • Don’t leave the electric fireplace unattended for long periods, unless you have a brand or model that comes with an automatic shut-off.
  • Make sure children and pets stay away from the vent or other external areas of the electric fireplace that could be hot
  • Remove anything flammable from the area where the heat is dispersed from the fireplace
  • Do not allow any liquids near the fireplace; liquids and electricity do not mix well!
  • Periodically check the outlet where the electric fireplace is plugged in, look for any signs of issues or electric shortages
  • Do not alter the electric fireplace in any way; use it precisely as the manufacturer recommends

You can follow other recommended electrical safety tips.

Conclusion

Using an electric fireplace is a safe way to bring a little extra heat and ambiance to your home. Plus, it works like any other electric appliance in your household – just plug it in and turn on the switch.

However, that doesn’t mean you should be careless. Pay extra attention while it’s operating, and make sure to shut it down when you are done. In the meantime, stay warm!