Because you have made it to this article I am guessing you are here for one (or more) of three reasons:
- You seem to kill any plant you touch
- You have no space to have a garden outdoors
- You don’t have the time to look after a garden
Go back just a few years and all three of these points were good enough reasons to give up on your dream of growing your own produce at home.
You may have heard of a company called AeroGrow. They have designed and manufactured an indoor gardening system called the AeroGarden that solves all three of the problems I just mentioned.
How does an indoor, mess free, FAST growing garden sound?
Sounds good right?
The Miracle-Gro Aerogarden certainly does live up to the hype. In this article, we will look at the most popular models, who each model is best for and any special considerations that you need to think about before purchasing one of these amazing inventions.
Read on to be amazed!
Click on any title to jump to the corresponding section of the guide.
What Is An AeroGarden?
An Aerogarden is a hydroponic indoor garden that can be setup almost anywhere. These hydroponic marvels allow you to grow lush indoor gardens at any time of the year – right on your kitchen bench (or in your bedroom, or in your office, or anywhere you like)!
You can grow almost any type of plant you like; fancy a herb garden? Easy! How about an indoor veggie garden? Done!
And if you are one of those people who seems to kill any plant you touch, well the Aerogarden has you covered with fool proof gardening. The garden itself tells you when its time to add water or nutrients and it even has a light that turns on and off automatically to simulate a normal day/night cycle.
Just some of the ways you can use your Aerogarden include:
- Create an indoor fresh herb garden
- Filters the air in your home for a cleaner environment
- Grow plants from seedlings indoors where they are safe from extreme weather, them re-plant them outdoors when they are bigger
- An indoor vegetable garden; lettuce and leafy greens grows especially well in an Aerogarden
- Grow flowers indoors and liven up your home
How An AeroGarden Works
One of the first impressions people have when they discover Aerogardens, is that it is a complex scientific device. On the contrary, the device is very simple to use.
The included guidebook is clear on how to assemble your device. Then it is simply a case of plugging it in, and your garden is ready to grow.
The Aerogarden works by combining the perfect conditions needed for plants to germinate, into a self contained hydroponic ecosystem that grows like a dream indoors.
Each type of Aerogarden is engineered to grow different sized plants, so choosing the correct Aerogarden for your needs is very important. Instead of growing in soil, the Aerogarden uses advanced hydroponics technology to grow your plants 5 x faster than they would usually!
Each Aerogarden model is different, but they all have the following common parts that help them work their magic:
Each kit includes Aerogarden pods (pre-seeded growing containers) that facilitate fast germination; they are specially designed to feed your plant the important micro and macro nutrients, oxygen, and water. The roots grow in water and air, and since they are not heavy the pods can easily support your herbs as they sprout. The liquid nutrients in the water enable healthy roots and nutrient absorption into your plant. All seed pods are non-GMO and are soil free.
Each garden also has an inbuilt pump or aerator that circulates the oxygen, water and nutrients to the plants.
Grow Lights are important for photosynthesis to take place and the Aerogarden Ultra LED grow lights (white, blue, red) are perfect for the job. The lighting in all the models is automated, and you do not have to worry about forgetting to switch it on or off. This perfectly timed lighting helps your herbs to grow 5 times faster than it does in your outdoor garden. However, the rate of growth depends on the Aerogarden model that you are using.
The Aerogarden control panel is easy to use. Different models have different types of control panels and features, but the basics are the same. It reminds you when to add nutrients and when to add water and the user manual tells you exactly how much of each needs to be added.
A Thriving Garden All Year Round
The garden works all year round. The natural weather conditions do not affect your Aerogarden gardening.
Miracle Gro AeroGarden Reviews
Our Favorite AeroGardens
If you are in a hurry to order your Aerogarden and get your garden growing, then use the table below to quickly choose one that suits your needs. Otherwise read on to see in depth reviews of each model.
Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Bounty
Perfect for: Those who want the biggest and best – this Aerogarden is a beast!
The Miracle-Gro Bounty allows you grow a variety of herbs, vegetables, and even flowers in any indoor environment. It is the best among the models that we tested with a significant increase in output over the other models.
If you are after the biggest Aerogarden available, then this is for you; the Bounty is the largest model available at the moment and has room for 9 plants.
The key features of the Miracle-Gro Bounty are:
- Efficient 45-watt LED lights that will increase your output tremendously. The lighting system is automated and turns on and off depending on the plant’s needs.
- 9-pod garden to enable you to plant variety.
- Seed kit that contains a variety of 9 herbs.
- LCD touchscreen control panel that is user-friendly.
- Guaranteed 5 times growth than an outdoor garden.
- 24-inch high adjustable lamp.
The Bounty is very easy to assemble and use and In just a few days you can see the seeds sprouting. There is no need to use pesticides and all Aerogarden pods are non-GMO.
The control panel on this unit is a touchscreen display that is very easy to use. Incorporating on-screen prompts to help you carry out the basic tasks required to keep your Aerogarden thriving.
- Produces a huge amount of plants
- Plants grow fast
- Pump is nice and quiet
- Takes up a lot of space
- More expensive than other models
Miracle-Gro Aerogarden Farm
Perfect for: Anyone with some extra space that wants to Grow a huge amount of vegetables indoors
Are you one of those people who always has to have the biggest and best? Will then the Aerogarden Farm is perfect for you. It comes in two size varieties: The 24″ grow height farm plus and the standard 12″ grow height version.
Even those these beasts look complicated, they actually arent too difficult to put together. Simply follow the included instructions and you will be up and running in no time.
The grow lights in this model are suspended from the top frame and the height can be adjusted independently on each side of the unit.
And the fact that you can grow up to 24 plants at once means that you are literally growing a full vegetable garden – in your own home. You won’t be running out of food any time soon!
The in built Wi-Fi technology means that you can connect to your Aerogarden from where ever you are and give it instructions or check on the status of your plants.
The key features of the Miracle-Grow Aerogarden Farm are:
- Up to 24″ grow height on the farm plus
- Automatic 60W LED Lighting system
- Fits 24 seed pods
- LCD touch screen for easy use
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Looks impressive
- Grows huge amounts of food
- Wi-Fi connectivity is great
- The pump on this model is very quiet
- Takes up a lot of space
- The app needs some work to be truly useful
Miracle-Gro Aerogarden Ultra
Perfect for: Anyone who wants a larger Aerogarden, but doesn’t quite have the budget for a Bounty
Just a little smaller than the Bounty, the Ultra has room for 7 seed pods and a maximum growing height of 24″. The Ultra is perfect for growing herbs, vegetables, lettuce and even flowers.
The Aerogarden Ultra has an easy to use control panel built in, it features an interactive LCD screen that uses easy to understand prompts to help you throughout the entire process of growing your plants. While this control panel makes it quite easy to use, it can also be used to adjust every aspect of the Aerogardens settings to really get the most out of this unique system.
A natural day/night cycle is maintained by the automatic LED light system, this helps the plants grow at their maximum rate and ensures you can harvest as soon as possible.
The key features of the Miracle-Grow Aerogarden Ultra are:
- Automatic 30W LED Lighting system
- Fits 7 seed pods
- LCD touch screen for easy use
- Grows 5 x faster than soil gardens
- Looks great
- The Ultra feels like a really high-quality device, it is built well and should last for many years
- Control panel makes it super easy to set up and maintain your garden
- The pump on this model is very quiet
- The control panel is quite bright, and from what could see – it is always on and cannot be adjusted
Miracle-Gro Aerogarden Sprout
Perfect for: Anyone who has limited space (or a limited budget) for their Aerogarden.
Need something with a small footprint? Well the Sprout is probably exactly what you are after. If you don’t need the huge output of the Bounty or the Ultra, the Sprout fits just 3 seed pods which is perfect for the casual cook!
Assembly of the Sprout is very quick and very easy and you can have it up and running in under 10 minutes.
The control panel is the model of simplicity, it reminds you when to add nutrients and automatically controls the overhead LED Grow light.
It should be noted that the there is a version of Aerogarden Sprout that uses grow lights of the CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) type, although it is tuned to the perfect spectrum which the plants need to grow, it will be slightly less power efficient than the LED types. So make sure you are aware of which model you are buying before hitting that order button!
The main features of the Aerogarden Sprout are:
- Grow up to 3 plants at once
- Small footprint
- Easy to setup
- Automatic grow light
- A view window to easily see when it is time to add water
- Has a very small footprint so it takes up barely any space
- Easy to setup and use
- The height of the sprout grow light is limited, so when your plants get to big you will need to trim them or replant them somewhere else
- The pump is louder than the larger models
Aerogarden Classic 6
Perfect for: A corner placement on a bench
Featuring a compact, triangular shape, the Classic 6 is perfect for squeezing into a corner where other models justwon’tt fit. Not only is it compact, but it also grows a nice size garden with space for 6 seed pods.
The built in control panel allows for adjustment to the settings, as well as reminding you when it is time to feed the plants more nutrients. As usual, the LED lighting system is fully automatic.
The main features of the Classic 6 are:
- 20 watt Adjustable LED light
- Triangular footprint to easily fit into tight corners
- Fits 6 seed pods
- Easy to use control panel
- The triangular shape is great for squeezing into a corner
- Viewing window makes it easy to monitor the water level
- Quick to setup
- 12″ high adjustable lamp means plants hit their maximum height quickly
- Pump is noisier than the Bounty and the Ultra
How long will the plants live?
The life span depends on the type of the plant. Vegetables can live up to 6 months, flowers up to 5 months, greens and herbs up to 4 months.
How do I know my Aerogarden is Wi-Fi enabled?
The Wi-Fi logo is indicated on the package and the right side of the clock on the control panel. However, only the bounty series are Wi-Fi enabled.
Can I transplant my plants from my Aerogarden to the outdoor garden?
Yes. You can use your garden as a seedbed and transfer your plants shortly after germination.
Are the nutrients and seeds organic?
The nutrients and seeds provided are non-GMO, no pesticides, and no herbicides. They are organic as approved by the FDA standards.
What are the maximum heights that my plant will grow?
The plant height will be determined by the length of the lamp and the bucket. The different models provide different heights.
Can I customize my growth lighting system timer?
The timer is automated according to the type of plant you choose. It cannot be customized.
Can I grow a variety of plants at the same time?
Yes, you can. However, you will need regular pruning to manage the growth. Watch for plants that need more space when sprouting.
How nutritious are Aerogarden produce?
They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients.
- How To Get Rid Of Grubs - May 21, 2018
- Types Of Paint Sprayers – Which Is Right For You? - May 18, 2018
- Garden Umbrellas – A Guide For New Users - May 13, 2018
- Spectracide vs Roundup – The Showdown - May 10, 2018
- 4 Shower Wall Options For Your Next Bathroom Renovation - May 3, 2018
- Our Guide To The Best Fertilizer Spreaders – See Our Top Picks! - April 11, 2018
- The Complete Guide To Hardy Succulents - March 29, 2018
- How To Remove Mold From The Shower – Quickly and Easily - March 19, 2018
- Garden Tools Gift Sets – A Unique Gift For The Young and Old - March 9, 2018
- 10 Must Read Home Improvement Blogs - March 6, 2018
Pricing last updated on 2018-05-27 at 10:14 / affiliate links - Details