For some of us, our lawn is our pride and joy, we don’t spend all our time on our cars or fancy home entertainment systems… what we really enjoy is mowing our lawns and making it look just perfect. And a big part of that is using the right lawn fertilizer. Generally, when you talk about lawn fertilizers, the discussion comes down to two competing brands: Scotts Fertilizer vs Vigoro Fertilizer.
But, which is actually better? Which should you use? In this article, we will look at both of those questions and attempt to help you pick the lawn fertilizer that is right for you.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. All opinions are our own we pride ourselves on keeping our articles fair and balanced. For more info see our disclosure statement.
Scotts vs Vigoro Results Summary
For the purpose of this article, we chose to test the most popular lawn fertilizer from each brand.A summary of the results is below, more details can be found below the table:
Ease Of Application – How To Apply Lawn Fertilizer
The application of Vigoro Fertilizer vs Scotts Fertilizer is almost identical. So its not really possible to pick a winner here.
The procedure basically goes like this:
- Do not apply if rain is forecast. Rain will wash the fertilizer away before it does its magic.
- Fill your chosen fertilizer spreader (see our list of the best fertilizer spreaders here) and set it as per the fertilizer instructions.
- Ensure the lawn is wet either from dew or from a light watering.
- Apply the lawn fertilizer.
Vigoro Weed and Feed is sold for around $19 for a 15lb bag. This 15lb bag fertilizes up to 5,000 sq. ft.
So, using the maths that we learned at school, that means that $for every 100 sq. ft of lawn fertilized with Vigoro Weed And Feed, it will cost you about $0.38
Now, let’s do the same maths for Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed.
A 15lb bag of Scotts Weed and Feed will set you back about $25, and this also fertilizes up to 5,000 sq. ft.
For every 100 sq. ft of lawn fertilized with the Scotts product, it will cost around $0.50
Want to see that in terms of percentage? Well, that means that it costs you 31.5% more to fertilize with Scotts Weed and Feed.
If you like graphs, here is one that shows it clearly.
But hang on…
For some of you, that may be all you need to know to make a decision, but the cost is only a small part of our verdict. So let’s move on and look at how each company performs with regards to customer support.
Learn more: The best organic lawn fertilizer
This is another area where the Scotts and Vigoro differ quite substantially.
When I did a quick Google search on how to use each product, the results were quite different.
The results for “Scotts weed and feed instructions” came up with links to the Scotts website that had all the required instructions and handy tips.
However, the results for “Vigoro weed and feed instructions” were quite different. All I got for “Vigoro” were links to big retailers that just wanted to sell me the product and unhelpful reviews.
In fact, if you try to go to the Vigoro website (www.vigoro.com), it just takes you to Home Depot’s website. While this site did contain a few helpful tips, it was nowhere near as good as the information provided by Scotts.
Scotts Vs Vigoro: Customer Support Options
Vigoro Support Options
- General Home Depot support phone number
- Contact form
Scotts Support Options
- Online live chat
- Text line
- Support contact form
- Mailing address
- Dedicated Scotts support phone number
So I think the clear winner in customer support is Scotts Lawn Fertilizer by a long way.
It is MUCH easier to get into contact with Scotts and actually speak to someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to the best lawn fertilizer for your grass and how to use it.
But once again, this is not the end of it. Now we look at how the product performs.
VIGORO VS SCOTTS – WHICH PERFORMS BETTER?
Ok, so this is where the article might get a bit contentious. Lawn fertilizer works differently for different people depending on many different factors, so for some people, Scotts fertilizer may work better, whereas for other people, Vigoro fertilizer is best.
I want to stress here that you need to pick the fertilizer that is right for you, your area, and your lawn. Go into your local garden shop and talk to them about it, ask your neighbors about what works for them and find out what their experience is with different brands.
For the purpose of this article, we obviously need to make a recommendation, so keep in mind that this section is based purely on our experience with each fertilizer.
Your experience may vary.
Our Experience With Scotts And Vigoro
We found that Scotts fertilizer produces a much more lush looking, dark green grass that looked great. We also liked the fact that the Scotts Turf Builder had a smaller particle size which we found was absorbed much quicker by the grass, producing results in a shorter time.
We did find that as far as killing existing weeds goes, it kills some but others still need to be removed the hard way. However, it is great at preventing new weeds from starting to grow and will save you a lot of weeding time in the long run.
The Vigoro Weed and Feed certainly made our test yard look more lush, but the greens were not as bright or natural looking. Vigoro performed very similarly to Scotts on the weed front and is much better for weed prevention than weed killing.
The particle size of the Vigoro Weed and Feed is quite a fair bit larger, and it does take longer to break down and be absorbed by the grass.
Scotts and Vigoro Weed and Feed Alternative
Sunday Lawn Care is a great alternative to Vigoro and Scotts weed and feed because of their personalized approach to lawn care. By analyzing your lawn’s specific needs based on soil, climate, and other factors, Sunday Lawn Care creates a customized plan for your lawn.
This allows for targeted treatment, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach. Additionally, Sunday offers troubleshooting plans to address common issues such as weeds and pet spots. With a focus on providing the right products at the right time, Sunday Lawn Care is a great choice for those looking for a more personalized and effective lawn care experience.
- Personalized lawn care: Sunday Lawn Care provides custom lawn plans based on soil analysis, climate data, and lawn needs.
- Convenient and eco-friendly: Sunday delivers lawn care products directly to your door, and their products are made with better ingredients that are safe for people, pets, and the planet.
- Science-backed formulas: Their products use transparent, bio-based formulas with effective ingredients like seaweed, molasses, and iron.
- Expert support: Sunday Lawn Care provides one-on-one support from a real person and offers a satisfaction guarantee.
So Which Is Better?
Unfortunately, there is no super clear winner here. If we had to choose one, then it would probably be Scotts Weed and Feed mainly because the results are slightly better, and their customer support is great. To us, this is more important than saving money.
But, if cost is important to you, then by all means go with Vigoro Weed and Feed. It still has great results and if you are an experienced lawn connoisseur, then you likely will not need any help from anyone anyway!
Hang on, we aren’t finished yet!
The final point we want to make is this: Do your research.
Choosing the right lawn fertilizer depends on a number of factors, just some of these are:
- How much sun/shade your lawn gets
- The type of grass
- Your location
- How is the grass used? e.g. does it get a lot of foot traffic? Is it likely to get scuffed up?
- Will children or pets be on the grass regularly?
- How often you mow your lawn and what sort of mower you use.
- When you are applying it (in winter, use a winterizer)
- Which other lawn care tools you are using
Where To Buy
Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed is available on Amazon.
You can also get it directly from Scotts here
- Kills existing weeds and prevents future weed growth: Controls over 50 listed lawn weeds.
- Fertilizes and strengthens your lawn: In addition to killing weeds, this product also provides nutrients to your lawn to help it grow thicker and stronger.
- Suitable for use on multiple grass types: Safe to use on Bahiagrass, Bermudagrass, Bluegrass, Centipedegrass, Fescue, Ryegrass, and Zoysiagrass
Vigoro Weed and Feed is available from Home Depot
- Treats weeds down to the roots: This product not only feeds your lawn, but also kills weeds down to the roots, including clover, common chickweed, and dandelion.
- Greens in 72 hours: Vigoro Weed and Feed I with ASSURANCE Particle Technology promotes thick, green growth and shows results in just 72 hours.
- Extended feeding: This fertilizer contains time-released nitrogen for extended feeding, providing nourishment for up to 2 months.