With the rapid improvement in battery and electric motor technology, the cordless lawn mower category is quickly filling up with top quality products, and our testing of the GreenWorks G-Max mower has really awoken us as to just how good a cordless mower can be.
Not all that long a ago battery powered lawn mowers were nothing more than a gimmick, but with the latest jumps forward in lawn mower battery technology they really are now a serious contender if you are in the market for a new lawn mower.
Read on to learn more about why we think you should seriously consider the GreenWorks G-Max cordless mower.
See our review summary here or continue reading the entire post for the in-depth review.
Greenworks 25302 G-MAX 40v Review
Greenworks G-Max Batteries
One of the most frustrating things about battery lawn mowers is that they just always seem to run out of battery too quickly. Well the Greenworks G-MAX 40V electric mower has found away around this frustration, and it really is such a simple solution.
It features a state of the art battery switching system, so that when one goes dead it automatically switches over the charged battery and you can keep mowing.
The batteries are of the Lithium-Ion type which means that you don’t have to worry about them building up a memory and losing their charge capacity.
There is one thing about the batteries that may be confusing to some people, the two included batteries are different. They both fit the Greenworks G-MAX mower, but they are different capacities. One is 2 Ah and the other is 4Ah. I’m not really sure why they did it this way, I guess it was a way to get the run time up to 70 minutes but keeping costs down.
Our only complaint when dealing with the battery system, is that the included charger only fits one battery at a time. This can be a bit frustrating if you do have a larger lawn to mow and you need to wait for two batteries to charge.
Battery specs got you confused? Check out this guide.
Out Of The Box & Storage
If you are worried about there being too much assembly of Greenworks G-MAX 40v Electric Mower out of the box, then don’t. The setup is relatively painless and you can have it up and ready to go in about 5 minutes. Then you just need to charge the batteries of course!
The mower has a mulching plug that is pre-installed, you will need to remove this if you don’t want to use the mulching feature.
The procedure to store the mower is fairly simple, the handle folds up quickly and easily and it stores away nice and neat.
The manual does recommend that if you are storing it for any length of time, you charge the battery at least every 2 months.
Out Of The Box & Storage
The Greenworks G-MAX 40V Mower uses a twin blade cutting system, which we found are a great feature.
We also thought the mulching functionality was top notch, even when mowing over sticks and other items that fall out of trees – the twin blades make short work of it. With just grass, there are no visible clippings left anyway on the lawn.
A 20 inch cutting deck saves you time (and your legs) as well. Because it is a little wider than most of the other electric mowers on the market, so mowing your lawns will require less passes.
The single height adjustment lever means it is super easy to adjust the cutting height of your mower in one action. There is no need to adjust each wheel individually.
Feature - Auto-Throttle
The Greenworks G-Max has a built in autothrottle, which automatically adjust power to the cutting blades so the mower is not working harder than it has to. This maximizes battery run time and will also likely lengthen the life of the electric mower due to it not running at full throttle all the time.
In theory, this is a great idea. However, we found that the autothrottle can be a little slow to react when you hit a thicker or longer patch of grass. This meant that the mower would struggle for a few seconds until the autothrottle kicked in and powered up the mower. It’s more of an annoyance than a real problem, but it should be mentioned.
Greenworks G25302 - Should You Buy It?
The Greenworks 40V range of tools are great, and the G25302 is no exception to this.
It has all the features you need and most of them work really well.
It is also priced very competitively and will give almost any competitor a run for their money.
You won’t be disappointed with this lawn mower.
See if this mower made our best cordless mowers list here.
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard work system--includes (1) 4AH Battery, (1) 2AH Battery, and Charger
- 20-Inch cutting deck offers a great balance of maneuverability and cutting capacity making it ideal for mid-sized areas
- Innovative Smart Cut technology adjusts for power or runtime based on the thickness of your grass
- Dual blades offer better cut quality, superior mulching and bagging capabilities. Automatic battery switchover pulls power from the second battery once the first is depleted to eliminate downtime
- Kindly review the user manual under Technical Specification for troubleshooting steps and set up instructions
- How To Get Rid Of Grubs - May 21, 2018
- Types Of Paint Sprayers – Which Is Right For You? - May 18, 2018
- Garden Umbrellas – A Guide For New Users - May 13, 2018
- Spectracide vs Roundup – The Showdown - May 10, 2018
- 4 Shower Wall Options For Your Next Bathroom Renovation - May 3, 2018
- Our Guide To The Best Fertilizer Spreaders – See Our Top Picks! - April 11, 2018
- The Complete Guide To Hardy Succulents - March 29, 2018
- How To Remove Mold From The Shower – Quickly and Easily - March 19, 2018
- Garden Tools Gift Sets – A Unique Gift For The Young and Old - March 9, 2018
- 10 Must Read Home Improvement Blogs - March 6, 2018
Pricing last updated on 2018-05-27 at 11:24 / affiliate links - Details